Entering the 3rd Dimension
So I mentioned the other day that I had done a test piece for a 3D Incursion board. Here is that L-shaped wall section, kindly being modelled here by a Sturmzombie and an Allied APE:
To build it I cut out a base section in black card and then used 5mm foamcore sections to build up the walls. After an initial paper test using strict 40mm wall section widths – as per the game board – I soon realised that it would be difficult to place the larger miniatures in the corridor sections. The bases I have them on are exactly 40mm diameter. Therefore I have opted for a 40mm wide base but the walls themselves are 35mm thick.
So, having glued the foamcore frame I proceeded to “skin” it with a paper printed with textures that I had ripped out of the PC game Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
I printed at home using our inkjet printer but for the final versions I think I will get them done at a print shop. I want a slightly thicker paper and also I need to crank up the contrast a bit more.
Anyway, the whole thing was pretty quick to do.
Just as well as there are quite a few L-shaped and rectangular sections needed to cover the whole board.
As I am working to 35mm squares I will need some sort of connector pieces to fill gaps when two wall sections are next to each other. Should be fairly easy to do.
I also need to think about getting doors in. I guess for now I will use the door standups supplied with the game. Fenris actually do some resin cast ones which I might take a look at. Or, I have an idea for a door frame which I can slide the door card in and out of. I’ve noticed in game that you need to remember where an open door is on the board because it can be closed again. Simply taking the door piece off the board means you’ll have to remember where it came from.
So the test was successful. Now I am just waiting on a foamcore cutter (I’ve gone for a 45 degree bevel cutter for ease of construction) and then I can get building these pieces en masse. It’s going to look so cool.
Uh-oh, I’m geeking out again.